In light of COVID-19 social distancing requirements, the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) is holding its first electronic elections for members of the Council. The Council is the governing body of the Institute.
The tenure of the previous Council ended on 30 June 2020, having served for 2 years, from 1 July 2018. According to the Accountants Act 2013, members of the Council (other than the ex-officio) hold office for two years and are eligible for re-election or reappointment for a further term of two years only.
The electronic elections started on 30 June 2020 and will be held for 2 weeks until 15 July 2020. The results of the election will be announced during the AGM on 30 July 2020. The elections are being conducted by the Elections Committee of ICPAU.
The Accountants Regulations, 2016 provide the legal framework for electronic voting, but with strict guidelines, notably, the voting should start 30 days before the AGM and end 14 days before the AGM, and votes must be counted or verified by the Elections Committee at least three days before the AGM.
According to the Regulations, only full members of the Institute who are in good standing are eligible to vote.
The ICPAU Council is composed of 11 members and is headed by a president who is deputized by a vice president:
- 7 members are elected by full members of ICPAU. A minimum of 3 seats are reserved for women and 5 of 7 elected members must be practising accountants
- 1 member is appointed by the Minister for Finance, Planning and Economic Development, from a professional or regulatory body established by an Act of Parliament.
- 3 are ex-officio members: the Accountant General, the Auditor General and the officer responsible for higher education in the Ministry of Education.
There are 12 nominees during this election cycle. The nominees are:
- Hon. CPA James Nathan Nandala Mafabi FM 032: Partner at MTC Associates, and the Honourable Member of Parliament representing Budadiri County West in Sironko District
- CPA Dr. Albert Richards Otete FM 131: Practitioner at J. Samuel Richards & Associates, Certified Public Accountants
- CPA Josephine Okui Okwakol Ossiya FM 221: Practitioner at Rona & Partners, Certified Public Accountants and Chief Finance Officer at Bujagali Energy Ltd
- CPA Geoffrey Byamugisha FM 288: Practitioner at Ernst & Young Uganda, Certified Public Accountants
- CPA Constant Othieno Mayende FM 341: Practitioner at CMK & Co., Certified Public Accountants and Executive Chairman of Risco Enterprises Limited
- CPA Ronald Mutumba FM 541: Practitioner at Mutumba Mukobe & Associates, Certified Public Accountants
- CPA Gloria Tuhaise Wakooba FM 787: Deputy Director, Procurement and Disposal Department at Bank of Uganda
- CPA Assoc. Prof. Laura A. Orobia FM 845: Associate Professor heading the department of Accounting & Finance (Academics) at Makerere University Business School (MUBS)
- CPA Stephen Ineget FM 1011: Practitioner at KPMG East Africa (Uganda)
- CPA Diana Mwondha FM 1901: Assistant Commissioner – Finance at Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
- CPA Richard Asiimwe FM 2168: Lecturer at Kyambogo University
- CPA Budalah Nsubuga FM 3299: Accountant-Budget Investment at the New Vision Printing & Publishing Company Limited
ICPAU is the national professional accountancy organization, established in 1992 by an Act of Parliament, now the Accountants Act, 2013. The functions of the Institute, as prescribed by the Act, are:
- To regulate and maintain the standard of accountancy in Uganda.
- To prescribe and regulate the conduct of accountants and practising accountants in Uganda.